Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fare Thee Well

The farewell tour is complete. Only 5 days left of Asheville, my home for the past 5 years. Though I hate to leave it behind, I wouldn't want to depart from anywhere else.
A few notes from my recent travels:
Memphis:
-created a priceless work of art in the caustic medium (hot wax), thanks to my aunt Grace
-ate Corky's BBQ
-went to see some friends play music downtown and, upon realizing the gig was off due to an electric fire at the venue, went to B.B. King's with my mom for live music and ribs
-said farewell to a lot of family that I'll miss very dearly
Raleigh/Durham/Triangle:
-haha, that was just fun times with great friends who I will also be missing greatly
Wisconsin:
-drank some delicious craft beer in Ashland (South Shore Brewing),
-went to my first ever hockey game and I'm now in love with a sport that, where I'm going soon, people likely have never even imagined,
-walked the 10km across the frozen Chequamegon Bay (shuh-wah-muh-gun) of Lake Superior during a crystal clear, cold night to find the Northern Lights shining in the sky upon reaching the other shore,
-learned a bit about "ore docks" and the Great Lakes shipping business (a la Edmund Fitzgerald style boats)
Chicago:
-$3 is a great price for Jameson, $10 is a terrible price for Camels
-Al's Beef is delicious, deep-dish pizza is delicious, Korean tacos are delicious, and Lunchables at 4am are delicious
-only go to the Evil Olive on Monday's if you're really freakin weird
-O'Hare is huge
Thanks to everyone who gave me a place to stay along the way. Thanks to everyone who helped show me a good time during the tour.

2 comments:

  1. Hi James! I have lived in Asheville since 1997 and will be leaving this July for service in South Africa. I have loved reading your blog. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catherine,
    Thanks for following along! It's been a great service so far here in Madagascar (one year down, one to go). I miss Asheville dearly every day as I'm sure you will as well. Good luck with your service in SA and let me know if you have any PC related questions. Mazatoa! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete