Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Ela ela!

Ela ela! Been a while! This is what the folks in my town tell me when I've been away for even just two days. I went to Tamatave (yes, again) a few weeks ago to meet with a professor of sustainable agriculture from Appalachian State University named Christoff. He comes to Madagascar once a year to work with the Ivoloina Zoological Park and the University of Toamasina (Tamatave). The plan was this: get to Ivoloina to meet with the gentleman early on a Saturday morning, have lunch, then head to the beach. Unfortunately, as often happens on this island, plans don't always work out the way you think they will. Dr. Christoff was not at Ivoloina that day until 4:30 in the afternoon so we were only able to meet for about an hour, when I had to head to the PCV Beth's house, who lives close to Ivoloina Park, where she made the best pizza and cake I have had on this island in her cob oven. Tena mahay.

Rat update: I have killed two in my house with my walking stick. I have found they are able to climb up the outside posts of my house, get it on the ceiling crossbeams, and go down my stairs into my kitchen where they love to eat whatever remnants of dinner is left in my pans (and leave their poop in them). The battle continues...

Last week was my stage's In-Service Training (IST). All the folks that I came to country with and I reported back to the training center in Mantasoa for a series of more in depth trainings on PC business (ie: funding, rice farming, chicken raising, and the like). It was fantastic to see everyone from the stage and get to hear everyone's experiences from site. One of the most interesting things was hearing  how everyone had developed their Malagasy into the local dialects. Some folks I couldn't even understand when they spoke (you know who you are Tsy Mihety!!!). After IST, spent a couple of days in the capitol eating some amazingly good food.

This week, I'm hitching a ride with Jody, the Canadian researcher in my forest, down to Fianarantsoa to join a farewell party for some volunteers who are COSing soon. Then it's time for trainings again with CI in Moramanga! Where I'll be serving as a trainer for using GPS out in the forest and we'll be doing transects in Andasibe! Damn right.

Lastly, and most certainly not leastly, I have compiled a wish list for those who would like to put together a little something to send me here on this island halfway round the world. Much thanks:

Books (all kinds, good ones are preferred to bad ones, ones I may have read in college that I might like to revisit), picture books of American scenery and wildlife, oatmeal, Starburst, drink mixes, Old Spice Pure Sport Deodorant (whatever), magazines (sports, music, and the Economist are cool), wool socks and wool shirts (it rains here), music, AAA and AA batteries, Cavender's seasoning, Rendezvous seasoning, a flash drive (big wish, I know), external hardrive (even bigger haha)...
I'll try to update this list continually, but there ain't a whole lot this guy needs. Thanks in advance!!

Much love to everyone back home!

James

1 comment:

  1. your asking for to much james. live without lol jk i just got two packages.....including glow in the dark stars im spoiled..

    ReplyDelete